Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Aavani Avittam

Hey guys here i'm talk about the festival we celebrate today. It's called AAVANI AVITTAM ( the sacred thread day). There are loads of memory regarding this day right from my chilhood. Ya this is the only festival celebrated by us where i'm side tracked and my brother given more importance :(

During my childhood, we (my big bro and me) used to bunk school and go to our grandparents house.From there of use to go all the male clan of the family along with their Princess (that's me) to the near-by temple where a big Ceremony is conducted and it begins when they recite all the japas and then finally change their Sacred-Thread. I remember one particular japa which they have to chant a 1008 times, THE GAYATHRI JAPAM. It goes as follows:

Om booth bovasvaha,
thatsa vithurvarenyam,
bargo devasya dhee mahi,
diyo yonah prachodayath
Everytime i recite this japam along with my dad and bro, my grandma would say not to do so. Never knew the real reason then as to why i'm not supposed to say it when they keep reciting on and on the whole day.But later my dad called me over and made me sit on his lap and said -" Kanna(added my me, my dad is a person who never potrays his feeling out and ya you can see them in his eyes), there is not harm is reciting any of the God slokas, the reason why paati is asking you not to say this is because It's a very powerful Sloka and the words that are said must come from deep down your stomach." Again just took my dad's words and never understood the real reason even then. Later when i got a little old, I understood the real reason. It is said that for this particular Japam, the words had to be stressed and they must arise from the abdomen and the power of the words are so strong that they might destroy the womb of a woman. Don't know how much this fact is true now in this scientific world but ya that was the reason given by my dad and till today i recite it in my mind rather then saying out aloud . Oh come on i guess there's no harm is reciting in mind ;)
And to the major event of the day, ones the ceremony is over we all return back home. Here, aarathi is taken for them and i take up one side.( For people who do not know who or what Aarathi is, it's a small ceremony that's done on all good occasions to remove all the evil eyes set on the family. Here a plate containing water mixed with kumkum, chandanam, etc is to be held by two ladies and they need to rotate it 3 times in clock-wise direction and another 3-times in anticlock-wise direction in front of the family. Ones this is done, the person on whom this is done needs to put money on the plate.This money is shared between the two ladies who do it.) WOW! Hence everytime this procedure is followed i grab one end of the plate mainly for the reward that is obtained and being the youngest i don't even have to share the money that is put on the plate with my mom or perima. And also everytime my dad stand the other side he deposits and lot of coins and asks me to count and tell my collection for the day.This was the most enjoyable part for me as i would sit next to my dad and keep asking him if i had counted correctly and when the next occasion is nearly to come where i can take aarathi again.
Ones all this procedures are done, the entire family sit together for the delicious food(yet another main purpose of celebration). The food that day would contain a lot of varieties starting from the PAYASAM to vada, pachchadi, sundal, appalam, etc. After the food is the time to rest and gossips (ie) While all the male clan of the house will be busily sleeping( yup they are pakka brahims, the moment they are done with the food they take a nap even if u keep repeating them a 100 times that's not good foe health) the female clan will be busy washing vessels and gossiping about the next house mama-mami or some serial uncle-aunty or any such non-sense(non-sense because i don't understand a word) and the kids will be busy watching T.V. Finally when it's evening all of them set to their respective houses to get back to their normal routine.
So the same procedure followed year after year after year, yet it's differs each time just as the way the taste of the same dish varies each time you prepare it. But for the past few years, i'm either at college or work instead of enjoying the day and by the time i reach home there's no sign of any celebration except for the dishes of-course :( Hope to get back and enjoy all those lovely days.To everyone out there "HAPPY AAVANI AVITTAM"
PS: Today is also suppose to be Raksha Bandhan day. Hence to all those lovely brothers out there - "HAPPY RAKSHABANDHAN". Take good care of your cute sisters and get them all that they want.
PPS: To my brother. You better get me something special this time ;)